We highly recommend using a desktop or laptop computer for this course. Mobile devices are not recommended.
Zoom video conferencing: Public LUMA Anywhere courses are conducted using Zoom video conferencing. This tool helps maximize participation in live learning sessions, with key features that enable visualization and collaboration. You can find more details about Zoom technical requirements below.
As best practices to keep our meetings secure, each LUMA Anywhere session has a unique ID and is password-protected.
Microsoft PowerPoint Online: In some courses, you will need to use Microsoft PowerPoint Online for interactive collaboration during the live learning sessions. You don't need a PowerPoint Online account, but you do need to be able to follow a link to a PowerPoint Online file and then use its tools and functions. Learn more about Microsoft PowerPoint Online.
MURAL Edition: We occasionally offer sections of Design Thinking Essentials that use MURAL, a digital workspace for visual collaboration, for course activities and assignments. If you choose a MURAL section of a course, please ensure that you have a MURAL membership and basic proficiency using the platform before the course begins. To learn how to use MURAL, visit their Essential Onboarding and Resources page to register for a free introductory webinar.
- A webcam or HD webcam, built-in or USB plug-in
- A stable internet connection: broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Speakers and a microphone: built-in, USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
Supported operating systems
- Mac OS X with MacOS 10.7 or later
- Windows 10
- Windows 8 or 8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista with SP1 or later
- Windows XP with SP3 or later
- Ubuntu 12.04 or higher
- Mint 17.1 or higher
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 or higher
- Oracle Linux 6.4 or higher
- CentOS 6.4 or higher
- Fedora 21 or higher
- OpenSUSE 13.2 or higher
- ArchLinux (64-bit only)
- Windows: IE 11+, Edge 12+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Mac: Safari 7+, Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- Linux: Firefox 27+, Chrome 30+
- The bandwidth used by Zoom will be optimized for the best experience based on the participant’s network. It will automatically adjust for 3G, Wi-Fi, or wired environments.
Other helpful information
- If multiple learners are in the same room, audio should be joined by only one computer or by one conference phone. Having multiple audio sources in one room will create feedback and disruption.
- Make sure your Zoom client is up to date. To check, open the Zoom desktop client, navigate to the home screen, click on the drop-down arrow next to your name at the top of the screen, then select “Check for updates.”
- If you have any issues with downloading Zoom, you might need to check with your organization’s IT support to ensure the download is not being blocked by firewalls or other managed settings.
Materials you’ll need
To make the most of your LUMA Anywhere course experience, you’ll need to come with an open mind and set up your workspace in a quiet, distraction-free area.
It’s also important to have these materials and tools on hand:
Sticky notes in a few different colors
A thick Sharpie marker
A few pieces of paper
LUMA's recommended supplies can be found on amazon.com.